Wednesday, October 20, 2010

my views on mainstream music.

i grew up not being allowed to listen to anything mainstream. if the artist/band did not claim Christ, then they could not enter my ears. for a while in middle school this drove me crazy. i hated not being able to sing along with the songs people sang in the locker room or the hallway. going into highschool i hid secular music from my parents. i started listening to the music everyone listened to, but as I grew in my walk with Christ, I realized something.
This music sucked.
Now, there is a ton of amazing musicians and bands out there that are mainstream. I listen to them often--brand new, city and colour, the avett brothers, bon iver, death cab for cutie--to name a few. but these people don't sing about crap. they don't curse too often (if they do i normally don't listen to it) and their lyrics are not revolving around sex and/or drugs. i really just don't like the stuff that has that in it. it's music is normally tasteless and talentless anyway. being an aspiring musician, i see the value in the music and quality of sound and the technicalities and the difficulty of what they're doing. i don't go for the stupid songs that every one loves because they're cheesy and catchy. i listen to good music--i've never met anyone who didn't like the majority of the music i listen to.

No comments:

Post a Comment